8.31.2012

The Peculiarities of South Korea

I have been wanting to write this blog for a while: the peculiarities of South Korea. In reality, it would probably be simpler to just make a list of differences between the American and Korean way. Here it goes:

  • Toilet paper goes in a trash can.
  • Towels are not used in any fashion that I have observed.
  • Sheets are not used on beds. A cushy blanket as the base is used instead, and a thinner blanket is used in place of a top sheet.
  • Any paper item can serve the same function. For example, kleenex tissue, toilet paper, and paper towels can all be used at the dinner table--or nothing at all.
  • Metal chopsticks and large spoons are the preferred method of serving oneself. Love it! I'm becoming a master of the chopstick. :)
  • Taxes and tips are included in the price. One never has to guess how much something will cost if it's already written somewhere.
  • If you are a stranger, prepare to be stepped on--literally. If you're ever in anyone's way, and they don't know who you are, not a word will be spoken to you.
  • 99 out of 100 Koreans have the equivalent of an iPhone with an added antenna, which consumes their attention on the subway and bus.
  • Quietness must be respected in public places, such as the bank and the bus.
  • "How old are you?" is perhaps the most common question asked by South Koreans. The answer is always a year older than one's age since the additional 9 months in the womb is counted in one's age.
  • Koreans are exceptionally friendly and helpful when you ask them questions.
  • Everything is recycled.
  • Electricity is very expensive.
  • Cafes are everywhere, and they serve grapefruit juice! among other fruit juices, tea, and coffee.
  • Nearly every Korean that I have met looks significantly younger than his or her age.
  • American Fast Food is taking over the world! Dunkin' Doughnuts, Krispy Kreme, Taco Bell, Subway, Pizza Hut, Burger King, McDonald's, and more are scattered throughout Seoul.
  • Shoes must be removed when entering a home or certain restaurants/tea shops.
  • Rice is eaten with the same frequency that bread is eaten in the States. The only bread I have seen here is white, though, so I bought the ingredients to make my own wheat bread today.
  • "kkk" is the texting equivalent of "lol." It basically means that you're chuckling.
  • Give and receive things with two hands. (I'm still struggling to remember that one.)
  • Bow slightly when greeting a person of greater authority.
  • Age takes a slight precedence over title. Social status is very important.
  • Names are called with the last name first or the title first if one has a title. As a teacher, I will have one of the most respected titles in this country. Teacher Christen. :)
That's all that I remember at this point, folks. Everyone who has served here for a while says that our English is going to start to degenerate after a while since we are the minority now, and they are right. I have already caught myself talking significantly slower, yet with greater precision, and also not pluralizing certain words. I'm beginning to speak the Korean English that I have heard. Pray for me! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, I love this post! You've got everything right. I'm sure you'll find more things to add to your list soon. Some of those things were easy for me to adapt to (Canadians also always remove shoes when going into a house), but others were really hard (like giving and accepting things with two hands - I'm not sure I ever really remembered or mastered that). Good luck trying to keep your English from turning into Konglish! I didn't manage it, especially while trying to explain something that a Korean really didn't understand. I think I've almost recovered, though, so don't despair. It'll all return to normal once you're back in the US.

    PS - Just a tip, contrary to what they taught you in orientation, toilet paper does not HAVE to go in the garbage. At least not in Seoul. If the toilet looks modern, toilet paper can go in it. Jonathan and I did that the whole time we were there (after I randomly came across a blog post by an expat in Korea saying that all of Seoul's sewer systems have been redone with modern plumbing and the only reason Koreans still throw toilet paper in the garbage is that it's what they've been doing for hundreds of years) and never once had a problem with our toilet or the plumbing backing up.

    ReplyDelete