8.18.2012

False Start

Several weeks ago, I attended a game night with friends. Late that evening, I received a phone call. Soon Sun Kim was ordering my tickets to South Korea and wanted to discuss the details with me. I left the room, interpreted her English as best I could, and verified information with her several times before hanging up. When I returned to the game table, I eagerly announced, "August 18, everybody! I'm leaving August 18."

August 17 came. I spent the entire day (and then some) packing and repacking to make sure I would not exceed the weight restrictions. I got 2.5 hours of sleep, showered at 3:30 a.m. and was on the road with Mom by 4:30 a.m on August 18.

When I tried to check in electronically at the airport, the monitor told me that the flight was not available. I assumed something was wrong with the program and spoke with the United Airlines representative. I handed her my itinerary, and while she questioned me if I was sure of my flight, she looked me up on the computer. "Your flight is tomorrow," she announced.

If I hadn't been so tired, my jaw probably would have dropped to the ground. I grabbed the itinerary and took another look. Sure enough, August 19 was the date. Even though I was flabbergasted that I had been wrong for so long, I took advantage of the opportunity and weighed my luggage. Each bag weighed in at precisely 49.0 pounds. The limit is 50 pounds. Success!!

Mom and I returned to the car and began driving home, laughing amid the embarrassment. Then the phone rang. Who could possibly be awake and calling me at 5:30 in the morning? Pastor Ferguson. "I'm at the airport, but I guess I missed you . . ." the message played.

I called him back shortly thereafter and explained the situation. He laughed about it and said that God must have had a reason for it. He also said that he had seen us checking in and had gone to wait at the gate. I never saw actually saw him, though. I felt really bad that he had gotten up so early and driven all that way for no reason, but I was thankful to know that he cared that much to come and see me off at the airport.

Despite my embarrassment, Mom and I got in a good laugh and agreed that that was our road trip for the year.

The rest of the day was wonderful. I got to spend a last unexpected Sabbath at church and hear Dr. Hasel and Dr. Clouzet speak about the archaeology surrounding the seven churches of Revelation. I caught up on my sleep that afternoon following a delicious lunch. And in the evening I just spent some time doing some odds and ends that I had wanted to do before leaving but didn't think that I had time--including playing fetch with Snoopy and giving Lassie a good rub down.

All in all, the mix-up was totally worth it. I doubt I'll ever forget that mistake . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment