8.23.2012

Orientation Days 2 & 3

An-yeon-ha-se-yo. :) Good morning. Are you at peace?

Every day of orientation is jam-packed with activities. On day two, one of them was a trip to the hospital to evaluate our health in every arena. Because our whole group went together, we had loads of fun, but if we had gone individually, it probably would have been stressful. Blood tests, urine tests, blood pressure, weight, height, hearing, vision, chest x-rays . . . the works. Nonetheless, I'm glad to say that nothing is seriously wrong with me.

We also received religion and English class training yesterday and today, which are greatly motivating me. I am so excited to teach that a part of me wants to start tomorrow. At the same time, I am thoroughly overwhelmed by the different programs and structures for the varying ages and levels of English comprehension. Thankfully we have another week of training left to prepare me.

This morning, we observed two English classes taught by seasoned teachers, which really helped me to see how to personalize the program and make it more effective. We also got to converse with the students, so I learned a lot about Korea and Koreans (one of which is that girls do not play soccer :P There goes that hope of finding a group to play). Then this afternoon, we received further training so that we can practice teaching each other tomorrow.
---
On another note, we had some free time yesterday, so my dear friend Sarah and I went on our own adventure. :) We took the bus in Seoul to Samyook University, where our friend Grace currently teaches. We met some of her friends from Uganda and South Korea and ate a good American meal. The university was absolutely beautiful, and I'd love to explore it more.

And now . . . homework. You may not be hearing from me for a few days . . .

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear you're doing well in Seoul and orientation is going great for you! I completely understand about how confusing all the programs and textbooks are to understand. Hopefully soon all the institutes will be solely using the WISE Master books for the junior classes instead of some of them using WISE Master and others using English Time. That should make it easier. Wow, I wonder how I never learned that girls don't play soccer in Korea. My students were always telling me to come and play with them sometime.

    ReplyDelete