11.18.2012

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is not just a day. It is a manner of living. Paul encouraged the Thessalonians to "rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you" (1 Thess. 5:16-18).

Lately I have been failing in this regard, so I am taking the time now to back up and survey my life--to re-prioritize and review the blessings of the last several months that are leading me into this year's Thanksgiving Day.

Living in Korea has made me appreciate things that I always took for granted, so while some of the things in my list may seem simple or questionable, it is likely because they mean much more to me now than they ever did before.

This year, I am thankful for:

God's faithfulness and constant refuge in spite of my unfaithfulness and lack of trust
the support, encouragement, and fellowship of like-minded believers
untainted mountains and rivers
every whiff of pure, fresh air I get
effective communication
helpful people, whether or not they speak my language
acceptance
a job
a warm bed
a refrigerator
a stove top
a washing machine
the Internet
warm clothes
legs and feet that can carry me anywhere and everywhere
God's constant protection as I walk the streets of Seoul, one of the biggest cities in the world
friends and family in every corner of the world who contact me at the times when I need them most
good news after a difficult day
prayer
the Bible--those words have LIFE
birds
sunsets
being able to see the moon and maybe one or two stars on a clear evening in the city
bread
beans
the joy and innocence of children
the knowledge that God is using / can use me for His glory if I just let Him
contentment with appearance
respect
laughter
Costco and E-mart
Western food
the values that have been instilled in me
my education
returned smiles
peaceful, familiar music
books
online sermons
my backpack
honesty
integrity
the opportunities for new adventures with new, amazing people
the Adventist connection
providence
sleep
health
life
my mom--yes, I saved one of the best for last :)

What are you thankful for?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list. I think it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I'm thankful for all the little things that I'm finding so meaningful these days.

    ReplyDelete