10.27.2012

Uprooted

Farewell Party for Lucas, Aileen, and Me
Two months. 60 days. 1,440 hours. 86,400 minutes. In truth, this is a very short amount of time. I arrived in Korea in August, and if it weren't freezing outside and the leaves weren't changing, I'd still believe it was August.

Nonetheless, a lot has happened in the past two months. I gained experience teaching Level 3 Adult English classes, English classes to children ranging from ages 6-14, a religion class, and more. I've gone hiking and biking, to concerts and festivals, to mountains and a beach . . . I've prepared presentations and graded even more tests. I've learned how to read Hangul and speak a few necessary Korean words and sentences. All of these are good things.

But best of all, I have formed friendships--strong friendships. When you live with, work with, cook with, and go to church with the same people every day for two months, you form strong bonds. You learn each other's strengths and weaknesses very quickly in addition to interests and commonalities. You learn from their wisdom and life experiences, as well as from their cultural differences. I am amazed at the deep work that only two solid months spent with like-minded strangers can do for relationships.

Then there are the students--people I see almost every day, but teach more often than actually get to know. Still, I have had students at the end of this term requesting that I teach them next term also. Others are thanking me for my religion class and what they have learned. And still others have seen in me a kindred spirit and want to get to know me more outside of class, so I have been spending quality time with them. One lady told me just yesterday, "I am very lonely, Christen. Thank God you came." Her words struck me to the core.

As I write this, I am torn because by next Tuesday, I will be uprooted. My Seongbuk family and I must separate. We've known all term that Lucas and Aileen were leaving and that next term, Errol and Vickey will be returning to their home countries. But two evenings ago, Vickey notified me immediately after she received word that I would be relocated after this term.

In the paraphrased words of one of my wise friend, "Sometimes we think we know what we want, but when the time comes and we receive it, we realize we were wrong."

I am moving to the textbook office to work in the Content Development department. New adult textbooks are in the production process, and they chose me to help them. They knew I wanted to work there, so when the position opened, they decided to reserve it for me. I feel honored, but at the same time, what will happen next? Is an office the best place for me? I guess I will find out. But most importantly, what will happen to these relationships? That is my greatest concern.

I am thankful, however, that I will be only a 30-minute subway ride from my "home" institute, so visiting is doable. I have prayed and left my life in God's capable, trustworthy hands. The rest is yet to come.
___
Today at church they threw a farewell party for us. The food was delicious. The fellowship was grand. Everyone has been in denial that I'm leaving, including myself, since it was unexpected. We all had to give farewell speeches. :P The pastor said that I'm leaving because I'm too smart. Everyone laughed.
Goodbye, my dear family!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. I know God will work things out for you, and I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you end up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're probably not nearly as excited about your move to the textbook office as I am, but I'm ecstatic. I am sorry, of course, that you have to leave your institute that you've grown to know and love for the past two months. It seems that your journey in Korea will be quite similar to mine, work-wise. I can't wait to see your pictures and stories of all my wonderful coworkers in the office! And please say a special hi and, if you want, give a special hug to my Korean mama, Robin, for me. I miss her and all the rest of the textbook office staff so much! Oh, and Leeza, too, if she's still working there. I'm also so interested in how the new textbooks turn out. Can't wait to hear your updates about the office in the coming months!! Good luck in your move to Seoul Main and your transition to the textbook office.

    ReplyDelete