9.12.2012

Student Testing

I have been testing students' pronunciation and conversation all week. This has been a rather mentally exhausting process, but it has also really helped me to appreciate the linguistics class that I took in college! I'm very fascinated by all of the common mistakes that Koreans make when speaking English, essentially because they're just following Hangul's writing and grammatical scheme.

Anyway, I had taken two students out of class to ask each other a couple of questions, and they randomly selected four between them. One question was "Can you recommend a good teacher to me?" This was one adult student's answer:

"I recommend Kris Cool (they have trouble saying my name) because she's very kindly and strict, so if we study hard, we can improve our English pronunciation or . . . improve our English. So I can recommend you Kris Cool."

I'm not sure if she was trying to butter me up for the grade, but in any case, her words made me smile. :)

3 comments:

  1. Languages and language mistakes fascinate me, too. I was completely impressed by Hangul once I finally figured it out. Now I'm all for adding a symbol for V and TH, and trying to convince the whole English-speaking world to revamp English to be a simple language to learn (or at least to pronounce). Sadly, I don't think anyone would listen to me, though.

    Cute compliment! Seems like your students are doing pretty well and that you are, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol :) That's so funny, and sweet. I'm sure that the student really meant it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really great Christen. It reminds of the conversation you and Scott were having at Sarah's rehearsal dinner. Blessings I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete